System/6000 questions.

Harley Hahn harley at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 5 14:19:49 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul4.205545.23195 at ariel.unm.edu> cs3551aq at carina.unm.edu (Peter Blemel) writes:

>The UnixWorld reviewer was quoted as saying that the POWERStations come with
>keyboard and mouse.
>
>I have a 320 ordered, when our initial order included a display and graphics
>adapter, I was charged extra for the mouse and keyboard because the system
>"Does not come with them in the base configuration.".

Well, since I am the person who reviewed the 320 for Unixworld (to appear
in the early fall or late summer) let me clarify:

The model 320 is used to build two types of systems: workstations called
POWERstations, and servers called POWERservers.

"POWER" stands for "Performance Optimized With Enhanced Risc"
(Notice the spelling of "Risc" :-)

Thus, IBM doesn't talk about a "model 320", only about POWERstation 320
and POWERserver 320, but the box is the same.

The main difference between Pservers compared to Pstations is that the
Pservers generally have more memory and disk storage and DO NOT come with
a keyboard, mouse or display.

POWERstations are generally bought in one of seven configurations, although
you can put together your own.  All such configurations come with
the box, a keyboard, a mouse, a display with an appropriate display
adaptor, AIX version 3.1, a GUI (AIXwindows - X-windows), the text
processing system, the software processing system + optimizing C compiler,
SMIT (the system management tool), the online hypertext help database
system (InforExplorer) and a bunch of other stuff.

In fact, most people will get everything that want except a tape backup
as part of one of the seven configurations.

If you buy a POWERserver, or if you put together a custom deal,
you will have to add in the keyboard + mouse yourself.

The prices for the seven configurations of POWERstations range from $12,995
to $33,065.  These are list prices.
Software developers and qualifying university types get a 50% discount.

The differences in the configurations have to do
with memory (RAM), disk storage and
graphics capability.  The low-end configuration is monochrome
greyscale.  All the others are color.  The expensive ones have
3-D color-type graphics.

These seven configurations have been put together to include just about
everything you need.  You're mileage will not vary :-)

BTW, to settle some misunderstandings, all RS/6000's come with
FREE hardware installation and a FREE online hypertext database.
You do not need to order printed manuals unless you really want them.
The online stuff is extensive.  If you do order manuals, they will be extra.
Before you do, check out the free stuff.

You DO NOT need a CD-ROM for the hypertext database.  If you have one,
you can use it (and save disk storage).  If not, the data will be kept
on your hard disk (this is what most people will do).
If you do get the CD-ROM, you can use it to play music, there is
a headphone jack in the front -- but don't buy it as a substitute
for a recreational stereo component.

Hope this helps.