System/6000 questions.

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Thu Jul 12 14:43:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul6.043838.16963 at edm.uucp> geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>	Last I heard a 6000 wouldn't boot with less than 16 Mbytes because of
>building stuff in RAM. I do know that you can allocate 8 Mbyte for debug
>purposes (which effectively takes it out of use) and we saw no performance
>degradation up to at least 20 users for our Progress application (accounting
>software).

As of several weeks ago, the 8MB boot problems were resolved.  The
last problem I was aware of involved a step in the installation process
where a S/6000 Model 320 would thrash if too many LPPs were installed.

This problem was resolved, and as far as I know, there are no remaining
installation problems involving 8MB machines.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org

                                            Proud Pilot of RS/6000 Serial #1472