Using printers off of a 64-port concentrator

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Mon Jul 23 23:32:20 AEST 1990

 moore at emily.uvm.edu (Bryan Moore) writes:

 > I am having trouble connecting any printer to a 64-port
 > concentrator in AIX V3 on the new RS machines. Any tty device
 > works fine, but when I try to connect up a printer, and open
 > the device to write to, the system will not recognize the device.
 > Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance,  -Bryan

 I have not heard of any problems with printers attached to the 64-port
 adapter.  Since you can successfully attach a terminal, you might try
 leaving it attached and redefining that port as a printer.  Once you have
 it defined, you can cat files to the device or set up the qdaemon to
 print to it.  Of course, everything you "print" will simply scroll by on
 the screen.  If this works, then I suspect a problem with the printer
 itself.  Perhaps you have a hardware/cable problem.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM