HOw to log off a Rs/6000 under X windows.

John Garnett garnett at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 25 11:25:41 AEST 1990

In article <072390.084603.heise1 at ibm.com> RAH at IBM.COM ("Russell A. Heise") writes:

> To properly log out of AIX when running X-Windows, do the following:
>     - Close all your windows.  Usually, typing 'exit' at the AIXterm
>       prompt will close the window.
>     - Press and hold the "Ctrl" and "Alt" keys and press "Backspace".
>       This will kill the X server and take the window manager with it.
>       You will return to the virtual terminal prompt from whence you
>       entered 'xinit'.
>     - Log out from the terminal prompt.

This procedure works except that after exiting X-Windows, my console
is not left in the state it was in before X was invoked (using xinit).
In particular, pressing the Return key does not return the cursor to the
left side of the screen.  The console appears to be "eating" carriage returns
even though the newlines continue to get through.  The only solution
I've found thus far is to type "stty sane".  Is anyone else experiencing
this problem - if so, are there any fixes?
--
John Garnett
                              Argonne National Laboratory