RS6000 Info with PC-Xsight

David H Close compata at cup.portal.com
Fri Jul 13 14:43:37 AEST 1990

Pardon me if this has come up before; I'm new to this group.  I've been using
an RS6000 with AIX 3 for about a month.  It comes with a hypertext package
called InfoExplorer that replaces man pages.  (Man still works, sort of, by
extracting from the hypertext database, but it leaves a lot to be desired.)
InfoExplorer works either with plain terminals or with an X Window session.
Its the X environment with which I'm having trouble.

When I run Info from the system console under X, it opens multiple windows
just like it should.  When I run it from a PC emulating an X terminal with
Locus PC-Xsight, it almost works.  One minor problem.  When the mouse pointer
is located *within* an Info window, it becomes a solid box the same color as
the background.  Naturally, this makes it difficult to see.  I can determine
its position and shape only because it hides text when it passes over; it also
is visible (with the same incorrect shape) when it's on the scroll bar.  On
the console, the mouse pointer remains an arrow within Info windows.  On
Xsight, the pointer is correct when it's in an Info window *frame* or anywhere
else on the screen.

I've experimented with font aliasing on Xsight.  This has greatly improved
the appearance of Info itself but has not affected the pointer appearance.
I think the pointer shape is being determined by Xsight, but upon some command
from AIX Windows.  Is that true?  If so, what can I do to make Xsight use a
reasonable pointer shape and color?  If not so, what is the problem?

^^^^ The above is my problem and the reason for this posting. ^^^^
     However, here's an additional question for extra credit.

Info also uses a large number of fonts which appear not to be standard with
X Windows.  I have aliased them to Xsight's short list of common X11.3 fonts
and it seems to work fairly well.  But I'd like to use the correct fonts on
Xsight.  IBM didn't ship the BDF files for their fonts and I can't download
the SNF files from AIX since there's a byte-sex problem.  Does anyone know
where I can obtain BDF files for IBM's fonts?  Or is there an SNFTOBDF program?

Thanks much to any and all who can help.

Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
compata at cup.portal.com
compata at mcimail.com