AIX Docs (was Re: how brain dead is AIX?)

Peter Blemel cs3551aq at carina.unm.edu
Thu Jul 5 06:19:59 AEST 1990

Rather than include a bunch of lines, someone said "... comes with manuals ..."

I spent better than an afternoon at IBM deciding which manuals I wanted to *buy*
because I did not want to buy a CDROM and hypertext (nor do I care to give up
100 or so meg of disk for softcopy pubs). The salesman said "No documentation
comes with the system, you buy what printed matter you want/need". What I need
adds up to over $200.00. There is a little computer program that pulls up a
brief description of each manual (provided you have the catalog number), so I
sat with the product announcement (which makes no mention of needing to buy
docs) and punched all the numbers.

Is the salesman mistaken? Did I just order duplicates? I can understand not
shipping a ton of paper to people who don't want it (thereby driving the cost
of the machine up for the rest of us), so I don't mind buying the docs if I
need to, but then I don't want to buy the second ton if the first is already
on its way.

Peter Blemel
505 255 - 8611