AIX version numbers

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Fri Jun 1 01:11:28 AEST 1990

>From article <24623 at unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by mike at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Mike Elliot):
->
-> 	We are in the process of ordering a 6000 type machine from IBM
-> so, being the guy who is going to have to port to it, I have started
-> reading this group. One of the things I have noticed is the wide array
-> of version numbers mentioned. Some people are talking about upgrading
-> from 1.1 to 1.2, others are talking about 2.1 and 3.1; then there is
-> this 9005, 9013s, and 9019 stuff. Could someone please explain IBM's
-> numbering scheme.
->
-> -mje

I'll try but I may get part of this wrong.

Vesrion 1.x of AIX refers to that code which will run on a PS/2 or
on a 370. The latest version in this line is 1.2.

Version 2.x of AIX refers to that code which will run on the RT
series of computers (I don't believe it runs on anything else).

And finally 3.1 load ????? runs on the ne RISC/6000 line from IBM.
The load numbers 89xx (hopefully no one is still using any of these)
and 90xx refer to pre-release loads of AIX version 3.1 with the
xx referring to the week of the year and any letter following
the xx being a sub revision. Basically you shouldn't have to worry about
these because if you order now by the time you get delivery there
should be a GA code and all you need to do is order AIX for a 6000.
If you start mentioning load numbers to IBM sales folks they start
looking back at you with a blank face :-).

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems