AIX version numbers

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Fri Jun 1 02:13:00 AEST 1990

mike at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Mike Elliot) writes:

> ...One of the things I have noticed is the wide array
> of version numbers mentioned. Some people are talking about upgrading
> from 1.1 to 1.2, others are talking about 2.1 and 3.1; then there is
> this 9005, 9013s, and 9019 stuff. Could someone please explain IBM's
> numbering scheme.

The first thing to understand is that AIX is not *A* system.  It's IBM's
trademark for various of their UNIX-like systems on various platforms.

The "version 2" and numbers like 2.1 and 2.2 most likely refer to the
oldest "AIX" - the one on the old RT systems.

"Version 3" refers to the system soon to be out for the RS/6000.  This also
shows up as AIXv3 here and there, as the system IBM gave to OSF.  The pre-
official-product-release numbers for v3 on the RS/6000 go by the week they
were built: 9015 was built the 15th week of 1990.  Who knows how it will be
numbered after the machines actually ship?

The 1.x numbers refer to the PS/2 system.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.