AIX version numbers

Steve DeJarnett steve at qe2.uucp
Fri Jun 1 02:59:00 AEST 1990

In article <24623 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> mike at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Mike Elliot) writes:
>	We are in the process of ordering a 6000 type machine from IBM
>so, being the guy who is going to have to port to it, I have started
>reading this group. One of the things I have noticed is the wide array
>of version numbers mentioned. Some people are talking about upgrading
>from 1.1 to 1.2, others are talking about 2.1 and 3.1; then there is
>this 9005, 9013s, and 9019 stuff. Could someone please explain IBM's
>numbering scheme.

	Well, first off there are about 3 different versions of AIX for 3
different platforms, hence the set of numbers you have (they all to get
talked about in this group).  A quick survey of version numbers:

	1.1	The initial release of AIX on the PS/2.  Most people running
		AIX on PS/2s are running this.
	1.2	The latest release of AIX on the PS/2.  Just announced and
		shipped this year.  This is the version that supports TCF.
		A version of this will run on a 370 system, forming a "cluster"
		with other 370s and PS/2s.  Not really germane to this
		discussion, though.
	2.1,	Various versions of AIX that ran on the RT.  There was also a
	2.2,	version of 4.3BSD available from IBM ACIS that ran on the RT.
	2.2.1	This was only available to universities.

(And now, what Mike has really been waiting for)

	3.1	The initial release of AIX on the RISC System/6000 (aka RS/6000)
		This is the official name of the operating system, although
		various early-ship and beta-test customers have been refering
		to it with numbers such as 8943, 9005, 9013, and 9019.  These
		are internal version numbers that signify when that version was
		built.  If you're ordering a system now, you don't need to know
		anything about these.

>			Mike Elliot

	Hope that helps.

Steve DeJarnett			Internet: steve%ibmsupt at uunet.uu.net
IBM AWD Palo Alto		UUCP:	  ibmsupt!steve at uunet.uu.net
(415) 855-3510       		VNET:     DEJARNET at AUSVMQ
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......