Changing an AIX's name --- how to do it easily?

Eric Giguere giguere at csg.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jun 14 23:49:05 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun13.212142.11062 at maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere at csg.UWaterloo.CA (Eric Giguere) writes:
>We have three PS/2 machines running AIX (two at 1.1, the other at 1.2)
>and because of a network reorganization we need to rename them.  I was
>wondering if there was a relatively painless way of doing so without
>re-installing AIX from scratch.  I don't think changing the name in
>the non-volatile RAM cuts it!

This is a further comment to what I wrote above.  I received several
my computer's uname.  This is exactly what I need, thanks for the comments.

However:  under 1.2 chparm doesn't seem to work.  Or at least it doesn't
on my machine.  I get the errors:

			   fixnmvtoc: no changes made
			   /usr/sys/bin/fixhmvtoc /csgaix1 /csgtk20 failed

when I type "chparm nodename=csgtk20".  Now from comments on the net I know
that the chparm command works under 1.1 and indeed we tried it on an AIX
machine running 1.1 here not too long ago.  No one on the net had tried it
with 1.2, however.

So is this a bug in 1.2?

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere at csg.UWaterloo.CA