aix level numbers, rs/6000 and others

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Fri Jun 1 04:03:31 AEST 1990

Several people have asked me for AIX level information.  I do not
work for IBM, but use their machines a lot.  Other levels and
releases may be available, call IBM or your marketing rep for
more information on latest software levels.

ON PS/2 machines... AIX is at 1.1 and latest release was 1.2

ON RT machines, AIX is on version 2.2.1 (latest)
   Older levels are 2.1, 2.1.2  and 2.2.0.
   Maint levels are 4 digit numbers, 27xx are completely regression
    tested and considered stable.  17xx numbers are patch releases and
    are available to fix specific problem areas and lisenced program
    products.  2706 is latest base level code.
    1733 is latest for X11 (Xwindows 2.1 + 1733 is like MIT X11 R3)
    1731 is level for TCP/IP.
    1115 is level for NFS.

ON RS/6000 machines, AIX is at version 3.1 and maint levels out
are development levels (currently).
   9005K  - decent, had some bugs, X server on sabine card is a disaster.
   9005O  - terrible... really trashed a lot of system code.
   9013S  - looks very good, in release porting centers and at most
            customer accounts that have early machines.
   9019?  - development code, still in use only at IBM austin.

ON 370 type machines (AIX/370) I am not sure how release levels are
worked for that system.

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
				   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw