Multiple AIX 1.2 Installs

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Wed Jun 27 23:27:32 AEST 1990

Recently I posted that one could "clone" an AIX machine via a
stand-alone backup, and a partial install, followed by a stand-alone
restore.

I just discovered that stand-alone backup under AIX 1.2 is broken.
It will not backup to "/dev/rmt0".  It accepts the device name,
but reports that it cannot open the device.  I KNOW that this worked
under AIX 1.1.  The alternative that I have used for AIX 1.2 is
to boot the maintennance diskette, and
  dd if=/dev/hd? of=/dev/rmt0 bs=4096 conv=sync

This seems to work.

--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."