AIX vs VMS

Mark Brown mbrown at osf.org
Thu Mar 29 07:19:04 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar28.200036.21081 at hybrid.UUCP>, mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
(Mark Dapoz) writes:
> As I understand it, OSF is not going to use the AIX 3 kernel, only the
> utilities and libraries.  To me this would mean that OSF/1 != AIX 3.1.
> Am I wrong in this assumption?  I can't see how using a Mach kernel will
> maintain 100% compatibility with the AIX 3.1 kernel.  You'll probably
> see OSF/1 on several platforms but I doubt you'll find AIX 3 on anything
> other than an IBM platform.

You have this correctly, as I see things. HOWEVER:

The system interfaces (which are all an app cares about anyway) will be
virtually identical, between OSF/1 and AIXv3. Hence, portability between
the two should not be the big problem that say, ATT -> BSD portability
is.

Also, consider this: IBM has publicly announced its intentions to use
OSF technology.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  | The effort of using machines to mimic the
The Good     mbrown at osf.org | human mind has always struck me as rather silly.
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| I would rather use them to mimic something
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 | better.       --Edsger Dijkstra