DOS Merge and protection from Viruses

Kenneth Barnhouse krb at mae01.ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 29 05:39:16 AEST 1990

Hi,

We are going to be replacing our RT's running AIX with
PS/2's running AIX.  We are also going to be running
DOS Merge on the PS/2's.  I am not really up on the
currect DOS viruses out there so here are my questions:

1. Let's say I setup my Model 70's with a bootable DOS parition
   and an AIX partition.  I boot DOS, and a virus is introduced
   into the DOS system.  Are there any viruses out now that
   mess with the partition tables created by FDISK, and if
   so, could it kill my AIX partition? (I am betting yes).

2. If instead I just allow the users to use DOSmerge, would
   it prevent to virus from doing this kind of damage?

3. Would it be better not to have any phyical DOS partitions
   and just setup virtual partitions for DOSmerge to use?

I want to make sure that AIX will survive if a DOS virus
is put on the systems.  I hate the thought of reloading
AIX from floppies.

Ken Barnhouse                   internet: krb at ecoult.ncsu.edu
Systems Programmer              BITnet:   barnhouse at ncsuche
Engineering Computer Operations phone: (919) 737-2458
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC