First impressions + one question

Mark Brown mbrown at osf.org
Thu Mar 29 00:20:58 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar28.062220.19948 at edm.uucp>, geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff
Coleman) writes:
> 	My first impression was that porting software to this box is
> not going to be a case of running make. It would appear that the includes
> have been greatly changed and figuring out the right combinations of
> #define will take some time. The following are my questions after one

The changes were made courtesy of your local ANSI, POSIX, and X/OPEN standards
committees...

> [three other questions]

Sorry, I'm o sabbatical to OSF right now, and don't have all my manuals
with me....[blush]

> 	4) Are there any standard compiler flags for compiling
> 	   code moved from a standard SYS V environment ?

SysV code should compile "straight out of the box". If you are running into
"ANSI C"-type problems, add -D_NO_PROTO (no function prototyping) and
-D_ALL_SOURCE (superset to 'standards' namespace - this should be a default,
but the default may have been changed recently).

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  | The effort of using machines to mimic the
The Good     mbrown at osf.org | human mind has always struck me as rather silly.
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| I would rather use them to mimic something
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 | better.       --Edsger Dijkstra