First impressions + one question

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Wed Mar 28 16:22:20 AEST 1990

	Well I finally got a day of hands on use of one of the new 6000
series boxes from IBM. We are waiting delivery of our own 320 at present
so I went over to the local IBM offices and used one of their machines for
day.
	My first impression was that porting software to this box is
not going to be a case of running make. It would appear that the includes
have been greatly changed and figuring out the right combinations of
#define will take some time. The following are my questions after one
day of use of the box:

	1) How do you reconfigure the kernel ?????
		- in particular I need to raise ulimit
		- I looked for all the normal commands like mkunix
		  and none appeared to be present as well I looked
	   	  through the info pages and smit and could find
		  nothing appropriate.

	2) What is special about the /dev/ directory that running
	   ls /dev would appear to invoke a number of processes?????

	3) How does the bidirectional getty handle locking ???
	   	- this is in reference to getting kermit working
		  on bidirectional ports.

	4) Are there any standard compiler flags for compiling
	   code moved from a standard SYS V environment ?

Thanks for any input
Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

gcoleman at edm.uucp or ....!alberta!edm!geoff

p.s. if you e-mail responses I'll send out a summary.