AIX vs VMS

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
Thu Mar 29 06:00:36 AEST 1990

In article <18179 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>AIX 3.1 is intended to run on as many things as you can throw it at,
>remember that this the same code selected by OSF for OSF/1.  If you
>wanted to run AIX 3.1 on a VAX, DEC would only have to join OSF
>[ which we all know they already have ;-) ], and port AIX 3.1 to the
>VAX architecture.

As I understand it, OSF is not going to use the AIX 3 kernel, only the
utilities and libraries.  To me this would mean that OSF/1 != AIX 3.1.
Am I wrong in this assumption?  I can't see how using a Mach kernel will
maintain 100% compatibility with the AIX 3.1 kernel.  You'll probably
see OSF/1 on several platforms but I doubt you'll find AIX 3 on anything
other than an IBM platform.
--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!mnetor!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.