AIX vs VMS

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Thu Mar 29 11:17:39 AEST 1990

jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>AIX 3.1 is intended to run on as many things as you can throw it at,
>remember that this the same code selected by OSF for OSF/1.

No, Mach is now the basis for OSF/1, and has been for awhile.  In my
opinion this is a much more intelligent choice as Mach is in many ways
more advanced than AIX (although several versions of AIX have some
pretty nifty features), not to mention it describes one product and
actually runs with good reliability and on several architectures --
none of which can be said about AIX at the moment.

>VMS is intended to run on the VAX, and that's about it.  There isn't
>a "Open DEC Software Foundation" out there to join if you want to
>run VAX/VMS on your System/6000.

Given the hardware dependencies inherent in VMS I think the only way
you'd ever port it to a RISC machine would be through an emulator.
VMS people are getting hit in the pocketbooks and the performance by
that dependency....

jim frost
saber software
jimf at saber.com