AIX vs VMS

Keith Bierman - SPD Advanced Languages khb at chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Mar 30 10:54:06 AEST 1990

In article <1956 at awdprime.UUCP> jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerrold Heyman) writes:

   A lot has been made about DEC's VMS running on all its platforms.  Until
   the 3100 came out, DEC had a lot of platforms, but only one
   architecture.

This was never correct. PDP-11's are still orderable, the PDP-8 lived
on inside a WP machine. There was an FPS array processor option for
VAX. There was the Rainbow (8088/8080|z80 I forget), and more.

The vast bulk of their customer base did migrate to VAX fairly early
and stayed there, so DEC _is_ mostly VMS. But strictly speaking it
hasn't been a one architecture company for a long time.

But more than enough about DEC, this is an IBM group last I checked ;>

cheers
--
Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman at Eng.Sun.COM
It's Not My Fault   | MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun* kbierman%eng at sun.com