NFS mounts on R6000

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Tue Mar 27 16:56:00 AEST 1990

In article <10014 at spool.cs.wisc.edu> luner at werewolf.cs.wisc.edu (David L. Luner) writes:
>The default distributed system has root in about 10 concurrent groups.
>This group membership list is used by RPC to keep people honest.
>Various systems' servers limit the number of concurrent groups to 8.

Would there be any merit in having the number of groups root is a
member of be reduced below 8 for the default /etc/group file?  Clearly
no one is going to buy a new release of ULTRIX because their NFS
server won't communicate with AIX 3.1.  This would seem to imply that
AIX needs to have a change made to it.

>Edit /etc/group (better yet, use SMIT) to put root in fewer groups.
>[Thanks to lexie at cs.wisc.edu].

Yes, anyone with a System/6000 should take a few hours out and play
with SMIT for a while.  I use SMIT to keep TCP/IP and NFS running
on my Model 530.  You can use it to create and manage filesystems,
users, devices, etc.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org