Basic Question

Mark Brown mbrown at osf.org
Thu Mar 29 04:13:08 AEST 1990

In article <1160 at ra.cs.Virginia.EDU>, gnf3e at uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Greg
Fife) writes:
> Is AIX POSIX-compliant?  Is the AIX compiler ANSI standard?  If
> so, for which versions?  If not, when?

Simple Answer: Yes.

Complex Answer:

AIXv3 will, as (the currently planned, I've been away for three months)
default, provide an SysV.2/BSD4.3 namespace in its libc and include files.

  By use of Feature Test Macros (compiler flags, -D) one can restrict the
namespace to XPG3, POSIX, or ANSI levels (progressively more restrictive).

The compiler will as (currently planned) default accept BOTH 'Classic' and
'ANSI' constructs, working in a 'Classic' manner. A flag will convert it
to ANSI C mode. This flag is SEPARATE from the namespace flags listed
above.

AIXv1, AIXv2, and the PS/2 version of AIXv2: No, sorry, they came out before
the standards did.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  | The effort of using machines to mimic the
The Good     mbrown at osf.org | human mind has always struck me as rather silly.
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| I would rather use them to mimic something
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 | better.       --Edsger Dijkstra