ar, lorder & tsort

Jonathan Hue hue at netcom.UUCP
Fri Mar 23 15:14:47 AEST 1990

In article <4500 at ibmpa.UUCP> jsalter at slo.UUCP (James Salter) writes:
>	ar qv <libname> `lorder <files> | tsort`
>
>It should be relatively simple to create a shell script which would take
>an existing archive and make sure it's in the correct order using lorder
>and tsort, also.

What's "correct order"?  I'm using AIX 1.1 and ld seems to be able to link
fine from an archive full of .o's with cyclic dependencies.

Too bad the shared library generator thinks ld can't handle cyclic
dependencies.  It's useless for all but the most trivial shared libraries.
The workaround I'm using is to write a phony tsort program that forces
the X******.o file to the end of the file name list.  Works fine for me.

-Jonathan