aix/370 async. term help request

David Nessl, Univ. of Fla. -- NERDC DAVID at NERVM.BITNET
Fri Mar 30 02:58:00 AEST 1990

On Wed, 28 Mar 90 16:21:00 CST <UCCXKVB at OSUCC> said:
>When and if AIX/370 gets announced, Oklahoma State University,
>is planning to run it on an IBM 3090-200s.  We have a few
>questions with AIX/370 with regard to connectivity.
>How do you attach an asynch. network to the AIX?
>For that matter, how do you connect any asynch term. to AIX.

You can't do it thru an FEP -- it must be via TCP/IP telnet, meaning
ethernet or (heaven forbid) tokenring.  This means that ASCII tubes
have to be gatewayed thru one of: the PS/2 setup that IBM recommends,
which has additional expense and limits on number of connections;
telnet terminal servers, which has the drawback of character-at-a-time
I/O to the mainframe; or thru some other generic ASCII host with a
telnet service.  While we plan to allow limited access via the last
two methods for ASCII tubes, we're really planning to promote use of
the horde of existing Unix workstations on campus for local editing,
with NFS cross-mounts and rsh for execution on the mainframe
(fortunately most of our usage will be by researchers who have their
own workstations).

>We would also like to do AIX/370 from a 3270 terminal.
>Is this possible in full screen mode or is only available
>in line mode.

You can get linemode-only access after logging on to VM or TSO and
telnetting to the AIX/370 system.  Unix full-screen capability is not
possible from a 3270 because 3270's can't do character-at-a-time
keyboard input (it's not due to host software limitations).

>The IBM FTN last November discussing AIX/370 and TCF mentioned that
>doing vi on the 3090 was very compute intensive since the 370
>architecture does not handle UNIX full screen applications very well.
>How much of a resource drain are such UNIX full screen applications?
>How much of a resource drain is AIX in general (just to have it up
>and running.  Other comments are also appreciated.)

We've heard comments from other universities that it really isn't that
bad.  We're taking a wait-and-see attitude: if it really is that bad,
we can purchase or reallocate PS/2's fast enough.  Plus our 8232 is on
it's own chpid, so the I/O will only affect TCP/IP, and I'm betting
that the 8232 will bottleneck before the 3090 does.  We'll see.
-david

David Nessl, systems programmer & postmaster
BITNET:    david at nervm                |Northeast Regional Data Center
Internet:  david at nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu  |233 SSRB, University of Florida
Voice:     904 392 4601               |Gainesville, FL 32611    USA