error determination

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM
Thu Mar 1 03:24:54 AEST 1990

In article <9908 at pyr.gatech.EDU> ken at pyr.gatech.edu.gatech.edu (Ken Hall) writes:
>Anyone seen the following error and know how to fix it:
>
>sendmail demon getrequests cannot bind socket to port 6400 in use

Yes Ken, this is a simple one. What is happening is that your inetd is
configured to listen for smtp requests. It is started up first and so has
this port open. Next your sendmail is started up with a -bd flag which means
it too tries to run as a demon and thus bind to the same port, hence the
error message. To resolve the problem you have two choices, you can change
the /etc/inetd.conf file so that inetd doesn't listen for smtp and then
sendmail will be an independent demon. Or you can simply remove the -bd
flag from the startup script (I've forgotten if its /etc/rc.tcpip or
/etc/rc.sendmail). Don't know any overriding reasons for prefering one
way as opposed to the other, but you should alter things one way or the
other.

Disclaimer: IMHO only, even if I'm right :-}

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu