Printing with Adobe PS Cart. from IBM RISC/6000

Jeffrey J Wieland wieland at ea.ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:45:37 AEST 1990

We installed an Adobe Postscript Cartridge in our HP Laserjet so that
we could use it with our IBM RISC/6000, specifically with FrameMaker.

We can't print Postscript files generated by FrameMaker.  It will print
very small files generated by the recently posted "mp" utility.  Also,
the "Batman" symbol posted last year will print.

Larger files will partly download into the printer, then the print job
will hang, and the printer will eventually become disabled.  The sender
will get an error message about "Illegal Command: timeout".  (That error
actually is supposed to be the Postscript error, but I don't have the
actual text in front of me -- but it is an error from the printer.)

The printer is installed as a DataProducts LZR-2665 Postscript at 19200
baud, XON-XOFF handshaking, as per the suggestion of the Framemaker
installation manual.  I also tried it as an IBM 4019 in Postscript mode,
with the same results.

It is able to print anything I can throw at it from PageMaker, at 19200
baud and 9600 baud.  But if I have PageMaker write the PostScript to
a file, then copy the file to the RISC/6000 to print it, the print job
will fail.

The RISC/6000 prints just fine on our NEC LC-890.

Does anyone know what is going on here?
--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland at acn.purdue.edu