Networking a PS/2 80 AIX Node

Richard Mayson rlm at jdyx.UUCP
Wed Oct 31 15:44:27 AEST 1990

mroz at eplrx7.uucp (Peter Mroz) writes:

>I am trying to network an AIX node.

>The system description is:
>    PS/2 Model 80 (microchannel)
>    3Com ethernet card
>    AIX 1.2 for PCs
>    TCP/IP for AIX 1.2

>In setting the system up, the 3Com card is installed with an
>option diskette.  In loading the AIX or the TCP/IP, I was not
>queried for any setup such as specifying a device drivers for
>AIX.

>Error messages that I see during startup and at issuing ifconfig:
>ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

>This hints thats the ethernet interface is not properly configured.
>I am missing something somewhere!!
>I do have correct entries for the node name in /etc/hosts.

>Thanks in advance for any help

>--
>    Peter Mroz                    |    E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co.
>    eplrx7!mroz at uunet.uu.net      |    Consultant, Scicon
>    mrozpa%wmvx at dupont.com        |    DuPont Building, D4078
>                                  |    Wilmington, DE 19898
>--
>The UUCP Mailer

Peter,

To use a 3com card under AIX 1.2....you must have the operating system
extensions.  Look in the directory /usr/nifl/3com.  The 3com driver
must be installed, the readme file in that directory takes you
through the installation.  Also, you need AT LEAST the 1004 corrective
service updates (the latest is 1007).

Hope this helps.

Richard Mayson
rlm at jdyx.atlanta.ga.us