sendmail.cf for RS/6000 ??

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Sun Oct 21 06:51:59 AEST 1990

In article <871 at ki.UUCP> dwatts at ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:

>Has anybody gotten a sendmail.cf to work on the RS/6000?
>Specifically, I've got an SGI which is my UUCP link to the outside world.
>Locally, I've got the RS/6000 and a Sun 4.  On the Sun 4, I defined my
>SGI as my mail router and all mail to 'user at host' or 'host!user' gets
>forwarded on to the SGI for delivery.  Of course, if the host is local,
>then the Sun just sends the email via TCP/IP on the Ethernet.

[....this isn't working on the 6000...]

I can appreciate your frustration Dan. The sendmail.cf file shipped with
AIX, and before any of you 6000 support types rise up in revolt this
applies to AIX370 and PS/2 as well :-}, is extremely simpleminded. It
has a chance of working OK on real internet-connected sites but that is
about it. If you are in an increasingly common configuration, where you
have a local domain and its network, but rely on a uucp-style connection
to an internet MX fowarder for all other domain-style addresses, it just
won't work for you as shipped. Basically, you need to do some surgery on
Ruleset Zero.

As shipped any domain-type address, meaning user at host will resolve to the
tcp mailer, what you need to do is circumvent this. What you want in the
sort of configuration I described above is basically to allow anything of
the form 'user at host.mydomain' or 'user at host.mysubdomain.mydomain' to go
ahead and resolve to tcp (assuming you talk smtp to any host in your
domain), but for all other domain addresses to be sent to your internet
forwarder (or what you may call relayhost). This is what we do internally
for locus.com and its subdomains.

Now, what do you need to do concretely? There is no one true way to set
this up, all I can do is give you one example, other schemas are possible,
and unfortunately will require a fairly good understanding of sendmail's
macros and rewrite rules. So, anyway, here goes...

First define a macro for your forwarder:

DRmy_internet_forwarder

And the mailer to use to get there, this might be tcp or uucp depending...

DMuucp

Now, the second to the last rewrite rule in sendmail.cf looks as follows:

R$*<@$+>$*	$#tcp$@$2$:$1<@$2>$3

You want to change this to the following 2 rules:

R$*<@$-.$D>$*	$#tcp$@$2.$D$:$1<@$2.$D>$3	user at host.ourdomain
# Send all other domain addresses to the relay host
R$*<@$+>$*	$#$M$@$R$:$1<@$2>$3		user at host.otherdomains

You will need to make certain that any unqualified hostname, either in
rewrite rules or via the nameserver gets a fully qualified form before
reaching these rules!

These rules also only cover the simple case where you have a single flat
domain without subdomains, if you do have subdomains as locus.com does things
get more complex. What I would do there is make the D macro into the base
domain, i.e., in our case DDlocus.com. Next define a D class with all
the legal subdomains, eg. CDla sd bos. Then the 2 rules above would then
be changed into 3 rules as follows:

# Handle any subdomain addresses...
R$*<@$-.$=D.$D>$*	$#tcp$@$2.$3.$D$:$1<@$2.$3.$D>$3
# Addresses in the base domain...
R$*<@$-.$D>$*		$#tcp$@$2.$D$:$1<@$2.$D>$3	user at host.ourdomain
# Send all other domain addresses to the relay host
R$*<@$+>$*	$#$M$@$R$:$1<@$2>$3		user at host.otherdomains

Making these changes should get you running, you might also take a look at
the sendmail.cf on the other machines that are working properly to see how
they implemented things.

>I tried defining the $U macro like they say, but
>that doesn't work.  When I send to 'host!user' I get:
>
>No '@' foudn in SMTP recipient "host!user".

Hmmm... From looking over the cf file I would have expected this would work.
You should run sendmail in Address Test Mode and follow the ruleset flow to
determine whats wrong here.

Good Luck, and as always I am available via email for further questions. Also,
you should try IBM support for help if this isn't enough to get you going.

Disclaimer: I rule the mail, but I don't speak for the company :-}.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM