tape backup on RS/6000

Chuck Karish karish at pangea.Stanford.EDU
Sun Oct 21 11:09:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct17.175518.18355 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cfjph at mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
(Judy P. Halchin) writes:

>[H]ow do I backup all my filesystems onto a single tape.  After backing up each
>filesystem it rewinds the tape, forcing me to use a new one for the next
>filesystem.

Use /dev/rmt0.1 instead of /dev/rmt0 (your major number may vary) and
the tape will not rewind on close.  For more information, check the
info database.  It takes a bit of searching.

>Second, it warns me that a backup
>may not be any good if the filesystem was not unmounted first.  When I tried
>to unmount /usr I got a message that it was busy.  I think this is surely
>because /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/lib/errdemon were running.  sendmail poses
>no problem, but the man page for errdemon tells me not to stop and restart it.
>How then, am I to make a good backup of /usr?  What terrible things will
>happen if I stop and restart errdemon?

Tell your users to log out, then do 'telinit 1'.  'telinit 2' will bring
the system back to normal multi-user mode.

To see how errdemon is started, try 'man inittab'.  I don't know why the
warning is there.

	Chuck Karish	karish at mindcraft.com