RS/6000 printing to Apple Laserwriter

rudy at chukran.austin.ibm.com rudy at chukran.austin.ibm.com
Thu Oct 18 02:02:23 AEST 1990

I havent done this, but a place to start is to configure the laserwriter
as a 4216-031, which is also a Postscript printer that supports
HP, Diablo, and IBM PC emulation.  When you configure the virtual printer for
this device, you are given options to configure queues for Postscript, HP,
Diablo, and ascii.   My understanding is that the backend does not translate
from these streams, but instead, sends a prep string (in Postscript no
doubt) that
kicks the printer into the proper emulation mode.  Since the Laserwriter
has these
same emulation modes, the technique of mode switching is probably the same, but
the details of the data sequence to do the switching is probably different.

Perhaps your printer manual tells you how to do this (other than setting
hardware switches) and I suspect you will have to understand Postscript
language
to make it happen.
IBM AIX Porting Center  | RSCS: CHUKRAN at AUSTIN
11400 Burnet Rd.        | AWDnet: rudy at chukran.austin.ibm.com
Internal ZIP 2830       | internet: chukran at austin.iinus1.ibm.com
Austin, Texas 78758     | Voice: 512-838-4674  Tieline: 678-4674