Shared Memory for Executable

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at oracle.nl
Wed Oct 10 19:35:10 AEST 1990

Article <1990Oct9.183417.7529 at eplrx7.uucp> by mroz at eplrx7.uucp (Peter Mroz) says:
|We are using a program that takes up about 5MB of memory, and were wondering
|about the possibility of putting it into a shared memory space.
If the memory you want to share is code, this is done for you by default.

If you want to share data, it's a bit more tricky.

- You can use the shmat, shmget, etc. calls, but it will require you
  to restructure your code, and you have to load your data into your shm
  yourself.

- String literals (at least in C programs) are by default put into shared memory
  together with code.

- Declaring vraibles as const doesn't do it.
Bjorn Engsig,	       E-mail: bengsig at oracle.com, bengsig at oracle.nl
ORACLE Corporation   From IBM: auschs!ibmaus!cs.utexas.edu!uunet!oracle!bengsig

	"Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"