sendmail.cf for RS/6000 ??

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Wed Oct 24 03:55:22 AEST 1990

In article <3973 at awdprime.UUCP> jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com (Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091) writes:

[ with regard to my suggestion to change Ruleset Zero to use relayhost...]

>I don't understand, Jack.  Why don't you use the MX record to point you
>to the right host, instead of mucking about with ruleset 0 to kludge it
>up?  I can understand if you want to get very granular in your routing,
>but for the scenario you describe the nameserver should tell you where
>to go.  And if you do want to get fancier, what stock .cf file would do
>that for you?

Well, for one thing, what if a small network/domain doesn't use a nameserver?
They might well be able to maintain a small host file. Also, maybe its just
my lack of experience in configuring a non-internet nameserver (meaning one
not talking to the real root nameservers), but is this sort of thing really
doable? The configuration I was thinking of is where what we want to do is
pass all domain addresses not in our domain via uucp to, say, uunet. Now
how is the nameserver supposed to be set up to give you an MX to something
that you don't talk SMTP to?? Should you just have some sort of wildcard
for anything outside my SOA pointing at uunet and then when my nameserver
fails to resolve that A record sendmail figures out its a uucp link?? As I
said, maybe this is just due to my lack of expertise using the nameserver,
please enlighten me, if this can be done we could change things for locus.com.

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not LCC or IBM.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM