sendmail.cf for RS/6000 ??

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Tue Oct 23 11:05:15 AEST 1990

In article <871 at ki.UUCP> dwatts at ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
>I tried defining the $U macro like they say, but
>that doesn't work.  When I send to 'host!user' I get:
>
>No '@' foudn in SMTP recipient "host!user".

I tried posting this several days ago but it got eaten.  So better late
than never: this is a bug in gold sendmail that was fixed in the 9035
build (the September update?).  Basically it complains about any address
that resolves to an smtp mailer but doesn't have an '@' in it.  After
you apply this update, you should be able to use the U macro to route
any uucp addresses (either user at host.uucp or host!user) via your uucp
relay host.

In article <1990Oct20.205159.2866 at turnkey.tcc.com> jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>I can appreciate your frustration Dan. The sendmail.cf file shipped with
>AIX, and before any of you 6000 support types rise up in revolt this
>applies to AIX370 and PS/2 as well :-}, is extremely simpleminded. It
>has a chance of working OK on real internet-connected sites but that is
>about it. If you are in an increasingly common configuration, where you
>have a local domain and its network, but rely on a uucp-style connection
>to an internet MX fowarder for all other domain-style addresses, it just
>won't work for you as shipped. Basically, you need to do some surgery on
>Ruleset Zero.

I don't understand, Jack.  Why don't you use the MX record to point you
to the right host, instead of mucking about with ruleset 0 to kludge it
up?  I can understand if you want to get very granular in your routing,
but for the scenario you describe the nameserver should tell you where
to go.  And if you do want to get fancier, what stock .cf file would do
that for you?