cutting from info into vi

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Thu Oct 11 00:46:30 AEST 1990

 rds95 at leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:

 > I been tryin to paste example gl programs from infoexplorer
 > into vi, but there seems to be some limit on the size
 > of the cut buffer. If one exceeds the limit, all that gets
 > pasted is a number, like "4040". The info database is
 > on another machine. Is there a better way?

 The 'cut' buffer for InfoExplorer appears to be of fixed size.  However,
 you can get around the problem through careful use of the queueing
 system. First, use either 'smit' or 'mkque' and 'mkquedev' to create a
 queue stanza and a device stanza for the queueing system in
 "/etc/qconfig".  Give the device stanza at least the following three
 attribute lines:
         backend = /bin/cat
         access = write
         file = /infoPrint         <== some file name
 Next, set your PRINTER environment variable to the name of your queue
 stanza and start up 'info'.  This time, instead of "cutting" the
 selected text, "print" it.  'info' will print to the queue identified by
 the PRINTER variable, which will send output to the file listed in the
 device stanza. In between "prints", you can move that file to another
 name and keep the output separated.

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM