cc ignores the -o flag when -c is present

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Fri Oct 19 00:30:26 AEST 1990

In article <10131 at ubc-cs.UUCP> buchanan at cs.ubc.ca (John (juancho) buchanan) writes:
>>Second, the AIX behaviour of the C compiler is very common
>>in the Unix world, so I don't see any point in your IBM flame.
>	Sorry I guess My mistake here, I only have experience with BSD 4.2,
>	Bsd 4.3, IRIX, Apollo unix, NeXT unix, SunOS (3.0 - 4.0), MIPS
>	unix.

Look here, fella, that cc -o -c stuff won't work on our Sun 4.1, and I
remember quite well that it didn't work on an Apollo SR9 (?)/BSD compiler.
So quit your bitching and learn to put up with the vagaries of different
systems' implementations.  I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a
portable way to do what you want.