cc ignores the -o flag when -c is present

John juancho buchanan buchanan at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Oct 19 03:15:49 AEST 1990

 I tried to keep this of the net but the mail bounced
jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com

You write.

	Look here, fella, that cc -o -c stuff won't work on our Sun 4.1

sam : rlogin SunCpu
Last login: Thu Oct 18 09:58:22 from sam.cs.ubc.cs
SunOS Release 4.1 (GENERIC_SMALL) #1: Wed Mar 7 10:54:19 PST 1990
SunCpu : mkdir f
SunCpu : echo int foo = 1\; > foo.c
SunCpu : cc -o f/foo.o -c foo.c
SunCpu : ls f
foo.o
SunCpu : ^Dlogout

The problem I have with the current implementation of the -o flag is that
it is easy to make it work with -c but serves no useful purpose to implement
it the way that it was done in V7 unix and by AIX.

You also write

So quit your bitching and learn to put up with the vagaries of different
systems' implementations.

	who is bitching?

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a portable way to do what you want.

	I thought we had.