cc ignores the -o flag when -c is present

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Tue Oct 23 11:13:47 AEST 1990

In article <10139 at ubc-cs.UUCP> buchanan at cs.ubc.ca (John (juancho) buchanan) writes:
> I tried to keep this of the net but the mail bounced

Hmmm, just like my reply of several days ago seems to have disappeared.
This is turning out to be a jinxed thread.

If you want to mail to me, you must do as I .sig, not as I From:.  IBM
Austin is actually getting an internet connection, but I'll be long gone
before then.

>	Look here, fella, that cc -o -c stuff won't work on our Sun 4.1
>
>sam : rlogin SunCpu
>Last login: Thu Oct 18 09:58:22 from sam.cs.ubc.cs
>SunOS Release 4.1 (GENERIC_SMALL) #1: Wed Mar 7 10:54:19 PST 1990
>SunCpu : mkdir f
>SunCpu : echo int foo = 1\; > foo.c
>SunCpu : cc -o f/foo.o -c foo.c
>SunCpu : ls f
>foo.o
>SunCpu : ^Dlogout

You're completely right about the Sun; I screwed up by doing "-o f/foo",
which is how I'm used to using -o, and the Sun complains about that.

But the point remains: other systems definitely have trouble with this
combination of flags, so why not do it portably instead?

>You also write
>
>So quit your bitching and learn to put up with the vagaries of different
>systems' implementations.
>
>	who is bitching?

I guess your comment about "IBM screwing up again" sounded like it to me;
but I should have had a couple of :-)'s sprinkled around that reply, so
please don't take it too seriously.

>I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a portable way to do what you want.
>
>	I thought we had.

Nope.  "cc && mv" is portable, but using the -o flag to stick the .o file
somewhere isn't.