Blasted 8 digit error codes!

Jerry Heyman jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
Fri Oct 5 23:51:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct5.065442.8569 at cs.umn.edu> lindner at cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) writes:
>Is there any way to suppress the 8 digit error codes on AIX 3.1 on the
>RS/6000?  If I see another one of them I think I'll scream!!  They're
>even in vi!!  I wanted a workstation, not handmedowns from the
>System/390!

I assume by the 8 digit error codes you are seeing, you're talking about
something in the form of:

   XXX-XXXX very long and descriptive error message

If this is what you mean, check the LANG environment variable.  Because we
support multiple languages on output, the LANG variable is set to whichever
set of messages you have installed (by default I'm pretty sure its not set
to any of them specifically).

It sounds like your LANG variable is set to En_US (which stands for English,
United States - there is also one for the UK).  To get the default messages,
change your LANG variable to C.  If this doesn't solve your problem, please
be a little more descriptive and we can figure it out.

>Paul Lindner 			 	| Microcomputer & Workstation
>Asst. Sun System Administrator	 	| Networks Center
>lindner at boombox.micro.umn.edu		||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |

Jerry Heyman
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
AWD Austin                       T/L    : 793-3962
*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's