Blasted 8 digit error codes!

Chuck Karish karish at mindcrf.UUCP
Sun Oct 7 03:00:24 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct5.065442.8569 at cs.umn.edu>, lindner at cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) writes:
> Is there any way to suppress the 8 digit error codes on AIX 3.1 on the
> RS/6000?  If I see another one of them I think I'll scream!!  They're
> even in vi!!  I wanted a workstation, not handmedowns from the
> System/390!

marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Marc Pawliger) and
jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerry Heyman) replied with suggestions to
change the $LANG environment variable to C.  My experience (possibly
outdated) is that setting $LANG to C breaks the graphics mode of
`info'.  The messages used to set up the fancy info windows aren't
compiled in, so the windows pop up and display a bunch of error
messages.

mbrown at tonic.osf.org (Mark Brown) suggested moving/removing the
message catalogues.  This is easier to do selectively than the
$LANG fix.  However, you'll have to accept that some applications
will give you 'message catalogue not found' messages on  every startup.
This'll also preclude transparent use of the CD-ROM info database,
since it's read-only.

The complete solution will include making wrappers for those
applications that need the message catalogs, to set $LANG and then
invoke the application.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000