Blasted 8 digit error codes!

Mark Brown mbrown at tonic.osf.org
Sat Oct 6 04:48:00 AEST 1990

marc at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Marc Pawliger) writes:

|> Messages (error and otherwise) in AIX 3.1 are different depending on
|> the setting of the LANG environment variable.  As shipped, LANG gets
|> set to En_US, United States English, which are the errors with the
|> eight digit error codes.  They were meant to be more informative than
|> the standard UNIX errors.  And no, I personally don't like them either.
|>
|> If you change LANG to 'C', you should get the 'classic' UNIX errors.

The reason that I posted my solution - move/remove the /usr/lpp/msg/En_*/*
files INSTEAD of changing the LANG variable from En_* to C, is that the
LANG variable also governs collating order, etc for the given language.

Changing LANG to "C" will work only for English-speaking (or more properly,
ANSI-speaking) users.

It *is* a simpler solution, though.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |"Coffee for my breakfast, whiskey by the side
The Good     mbrown at osf.org | it's a dark and gloomy mornin',
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| gonna rain outside, outside ---
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |              ...and the forecast calls for pain."