modems on RT (AIX 2.2.1)

Phil Windley/20000000 windley at cheetah.cs.uidaho.edu
Wed Oct 17 10:06:49 AEST 1990

In article <598 at vta.UUCP> tom at vta.UUCP (Tom Wiencko) writes:

   In article <WINDLEY.90Oct11083039 at cheetah.cheetah.cs.uidaho.edu>
   windley at cheetah.cs.uidaho.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) writes:

   >I'm trying to get an internal modem to work as a dial-in on an RT running
   >AIX 2.2.1.  The problem is that I can't find out how to send an
   >initialization string to it to get it to go into auto answer mode.  I've
   >Can anyone help?

   Yep.  I keep this one in my Daytimer because it comes up so frequently.

   Send the following commands to your Hayes compatible modem:

	   E0
	   Q1
	   C1
	   D3

   That ought to do it.  I won't explain it, there is much black magic in why
   all this is necessary.

Either I don't understand the answer or you didn't understand the question.
You say to "send" those to the modem.  That's the problem: sending ANYTHING
to the modem.  I know how to get it into autoanswer mode, once I can send
things to it.

I have found that I can use cu to do the job, but I'd rather be able to put
something in a crontab file.  (cu doesn't seem to like to have things
redirected into it.)

Phil Windley                          |  windley at cheetah.cs.uidaho.edu
Department of Computer Science        |  windley at ted.cs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho                   |
Moscow, ID 83843                      |  Phone: (208) 885-6501