modems on RT (AIX 2.2.1)

Robin D. Wilson/1000000 robin at sabre.austin.ibm.com
Thu Oct 25 05:39:27 AEST 1990

In article <WINDLEY.90Oct11083039 at cheetah.cheetah.cs.uidaho.edu> windley at cheetah.cs.uidaho.edu (Phil Windley/20000000) writes:
>I'm trying to get an internal modem to work as a dial-in on an RT running
>AIX 2.2.1.  The problem is that I can't find out how to send an
>initialization string to it to get it to go into auto answer mode.  I've
>tried just using echo to send strings to /dev/tty0 (the device for the
>modem) but this seems to hang.  I've been all through the "Managing..."
>manual without finding out how to do this.  They seems to assume that you
>will use an external modem with switch settable properties.

There are several ways to accomplish this.

	1) Set up the uucp Devices file "/usr/adm/uucp/Devices"
	with an entry for the tty in question.  The entry should look
	like:
	ACU ttynnn - <speed> hayes \D
	      ^		^
	      |		|
	      |		-- The speed you will use to talk to the modem
	      |		   (This can be "Any" as well.)

	      --- The tty that the modem is attached to.

	Then issue the command:
	cu -l ttynnn -s <speed>

	This will attach you to the modem, so you can issue commands directly
	to the modem.  Type "AT" and then hit [ENTER], the modem should
	respond "OK".  At this point you should be able to issue whatever
	modem commands you like.

	2) Use ATE to connect to the tty.  In the ATE main menu screen select
	"ALTER" and get to the "ALTER menu".  Here set the Device to the
	correct tty, the Rate to the correct baud rate, Bits-Per-Chracter,
	Parity, Stop bits, etc.  After completing the Alterations, press enter
	once more to return to the main menu.  Then type "c ttynnn".  This
	will "Connect" you to ttynnn.  Go ahead and issue the AT commands
	you desire.

	3) Type:
		cat <<! > /dev/lttynnn
		AT<command>
		AT<command>
		etc.
		!

There are actually several more, but one of the above should work for you.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin             |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-4526                       |