AIX LPR OPTIONS (?)

Pete Resnick resnick at cogsci.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 3 02:40:07 AEST 1990

rick at ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) writes:
>AIX is NOTTTTT System 5!!!!!!

OK, so I was a little inexact. AIX 2.2.1 is closer to System 5 than it is
to BSD. And when you want to compile code that is distributed, you tell it
that you are on a SYSV machine, not BSD or any other OS, unless it says
specifically AIX. And on my machine (not the 6000, but an RT):

% cat > More_than_a_long_file_name
aksdfklsa;k
% ls More*
More_than_a_lo
%

Nothing bigger than 14 characters. Count em. And if you try to get at
this file, you can use any name so long as the first 14 characters are
the same (which is fun if you think you have a More_than_a_long_file_name.c
and a More_than_a_long_file_name.o). For all practical purposes, AIX 2.2.1
should be treated as System 5 with BSD and some other extensions.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC
Internet/ARPAnet/EDUnet  : resnick at cogsci.uiuc.edu
BITNET (if no other way) : FREE0285 at UIUCVMD