AIX3.1 InfoExplorer/man pages gone and 1/4" tape drive problem

Peter Murray pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Wed Oct 24 10:41:46 AEST 1990

In article <3953 at awdprime.UUCP>, frank at gremlin.austin.ibm.com (Frank Feuerbacher) writes:
> In article <2667.2721ed38 at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>,
> pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
>
>> Problem #1
>> The Background:  We have a CD-ROM drive and a CD-ROM that is labeled "RISC
>> System/6000 Hypertext Information Base Library (for use with InfoExplorer)".
>> I assumed that this disk contained the same information that was on the
>> hard disk for InfoExplorer.  So I followed the directions in the release
>> notes and instructions to mount the CD, which included erasing all of the
>> files in /usr/lpp/info/En_US and mounted the CD.  As it turns out, the
>> CD does not have the same files as the hard disk had.  ....
>
> The CD version should have everything the hard disk version had, plus some
> drawings and (some) hardware stuff.  What appeared to be missing?  (Since
> you followed the instructions I am sure you did
> 'mv /usr/lpp/info/data/ispaths.full /usr/lpp/info/data/ispaths' because that
> would cause strange results.

Well, I tried mounting the CD and typing the above move command, and I
did get the man pages and info explorer stuff back.  However, I still
don't think all of it is on the CD.  The files from the install tapes
add up this way (the directory is /usr/lpp/info/En_US):

   2436    ./educ
   56      ./exer
   32048   ./prog
   2644    ./aixmin
   2568    ./nav
   28404   ./aix
   68160   .

With the CD mounted, the same directory looks like this:

   8041    ./aix
   615     ./educ
   11      ./exer
   587     ./fortran
   5498    ./graph
   2698    ./hardware
   643     ./nav
   774     ./pascal
   10830   ./prog
   29697   .

It looks like I'm missing things with the CD.

>  > Problem #2
>  > The Background:  We have a 7207-001 1/4" tape drive hooked up to the
>  > server for backups.  We also have 1/4" tapes for an NCR Tower.  Every
>  > time we try to write to a tape, though, we get a media error.  The
>  > tape drive checks out though, and works if we use the "Test Tape" that
>  > comes with the system.  I was under the impression that all 1/4" tape
>  > is the same.
>
> Not all 1/4" tapes are the same.  They are made to handle different
> densities.  The old 6157's on the RTs & PS/2s wrote at a pretty low density,
> they used 3M 300XL/P tapes the newer 6157-002's wrote at a higher density and
> had to have DC 600A tape.  The RISC/SYSTEM 6000's can write to 600A tapes if
> you specify a lower density (rmt0.4) but normally write to DC 6150 tapes.
>
> Hope this helps.

That did help.  The dump worked with the lower density device.  Thanks!

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #1:             pemurray at miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall          csh> make love         pmurray at apsvax.aps.muohio.edu