AIX3.1 InfoExplorer/man pages gone and 1/4" tape drive problem

Frank Feuerbacher frank at gremlin.austin.ibm.com
Tue Oct 23 00:20:50 AEST 1990

In article <2667.2721ed38 at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>,
pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:

> Problem #1
> The Background:  We have a CD-ROM drive and a CD-ROM that is labeled "RISC
> System/6000 Hypertext Information Base Library (for use with InfoExplorer)".
> I assumed that this disk contained the same information that was on the
> hard disk for InfoExplorer.  So I followed the directions in the release
> notes and instructions to mount the CD, which included erasing all of the
> files in /usr/lpp/info/En_US and mounted the CD.  As it turns out, the
> CD does not have the same files as the hard disk had.  ....

The CD version should have everything the hard disk version had, plus some
drawings and (some) hardware stuff.  What appeared to be missing?  (Since
you followed the instructions I am sure you did
'mv /usr/lpp/info/data/ispaths.full /usr/lpp/info/data/ispaths' because that
would cause strange results.

> The Question:  How do I get the man pages and the InfoExporer stuff
> back on the system?

Sorry, I don't know.

 > Problem #2
 > The Background:  We have a 7207-001 1/4" tape drive hooked up to the
 > server for backups.  We also have 1/4" tapes for an NCR Tower.  Every
 > time we try to write to a tape, though, we get a media error.  The
 > tape drive checks out though, and works if we use the "Test Tape" that
 > comes with the system.  I was under the impression that all 1/4" tape
 > is the same.

Not all 1/4" tapes are the same.  They are made to handle different
densities.  The old 6157's on the RTs & PS/2s wrote at a pretty low density,
they used 3M 300XL/P tapes the newer 6157-002's wrote at a higher density and
had to have DC 600A tape.  The RISC/SYSTEM 6000's can write to 600A tapes if
you specify a lower density (rmt0.4) but normally write to DC 6150 tapes.

Hope this helps.

- Frank Feuerbacher

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me.