AIX3.1 InfoExplorer/man pages gone and 1/4" tape drive problem

Peter Murray pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Mon Oct 22 09:47:20 AEST 1990

I've had a really bad weekend.  Can anyone help with these problems?

Problem #1
The Background:  We have a CD-ROM drive and a CD-ROM that is labeled "RISC
System/6000 Hypertext Information Base Library (for use with InfoExplorer)".
I assumed that this disk contained the same information that was on the
hard disk for InfoExplorer.  So I followed the directions in the release
notes and instructions to mount the CD, which included erasing all of the
files in /usr/lpp/info/En_US and mounted the CD.  As it turns out, the
CD does not have the same files as the hard disk had.  So I tried to
restore all of the stuff from the release tapes, which I think I was
successful in doing.  Now I'm missing a link or a command somewhere,
because the 'man' command says it cannot access the database and
InfoExplorer from a terminal hangs and from a Xstation it says
"MSGSYS 0575-0535 Cannot find system switch file for database
/usr/lpp/info/C/nav/nav.key"

The Question:  How do I get the man pages and the InfoExporer stuff
back on the system?

Problem #2
The Background:  We have a 7207-001 1/4" tape drive hooked up to the
server for backups.  We also have 1/4" tapes for an NCR Tower.  Every
time we try to write to a tape, though, we get a media error.  The
tape drive checks out though, and works if we use the "Test Tape" that
comes with the system.  I was under the impression that all 1/4" tape
is the same.

The Question:  Does the IBM tape drive require a special kind of 1/4"
tape?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  E-mail or post, whichever is
most convienent.  E-mailed messages will be summarized and posted.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #7:             pemurray at miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall           csh> %blow            pmurray at apsvax.aps.muohio.edu