RS/6000 broadcasts not heard by sender

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Oct 31 10:06:50 AEST 1990

>If a program broadcasts a request to a certain port, a daemon
>listening on that port on the same machine will not receive
>the packet!  This behavior is definitely inconsistent with
>SunOS and, I imagine, with other platforms as well.  According
>to my SE, this behavior is known and has to do with the design
>of the ethernet hardware.

I can believe that, because it's true of Sun's Ethernet hardware as
well, and lots of other Ethernet hardware.  The reason a host hears its
own transmissions in SunOS (and those other systems) is because the
Ethernet driver knows that the hardware can't hear its own transmissions
and wraps the packet around in software....