RS/6000 broadcasts not heard by sender

Andrew J. Schorr schorr at ead.dsa.com
Fri Oct 19 01:28:48 AEST 1990

In the course of porting our software, we have noticed that
the RS/6000 does not "hear" its own broadcasts.  Before continuing,
I should mention that we are using ethernet, not token ring.

If a program broadcasts a request to a certain port, a daemon
listening on that port on the same machine will not receive
the packet!  This behavior is definitely inconsistent with
SunOS and, I imagine, with other platforms as well.  According
to my SE, this behavior is known and has to do with the design
of the ethernet hardware.

I would call this a bug, not a "feature."  Are other people
having problems with this?  Is IBM going to fix this?

-Andy