minidisks command won't delete

Milton D Miller milton at ecn.purdue.edu
Wed Oct 24 23:10:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct24.031522.22788 at jdyx.UUCP> shawn at jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:

>  I'm not so sure that using the maintenance diskettes will let you delete
>/u.  I had been using /u for testing raw disk interfaces and wanted to
>clean it up.  Since I wasn't sure of how to do it I thought I'd delete it
>and recreate it.  I could not delete it when running the minidisk command
>and I could not delete when I booted off my maintenance diskette.
>
>Shawn

It is definately possible to do this from the VRM maintnace facility,
as I did this once (I wanted to move the file system to another minidisk).

Of course, the VRM M.F. is not the most user friendly :-), but basicly:
1) backup if needed
2) boot vrm install/maint
3) maint shell
4) use help to get the other command names
5) get the minidisk attributes and iodn (list something)
6) delete the iodn
7) recreate the iodn with the same attributes (use change attributes if
   necessary, I don't rember)
8) mkfs on the new iodn
10) exit and reboot aix

milton

DISCLAIMER: I did this last summer, but I don't have an RT around here
to check what I said (or get the vrm commands from, for that matter).