Several questions on AIX PS/2 Ver. 1.2. Please help.

HAAS hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU
Mon Oct 22 08:49:44 AEST 1990

I have several questions regarding AIX 1.2 for the PS/2:

1. My X11 appears to be a plain vanilla window system. Is/will there
   be an OSF/Motif gui ? Do I have it already, but don't know it?
   Will it never appear? Anybody know?

2. Does anyone know of FTP sites which currently cater towards AIX?

3. I can't seem to 'attach' a DOS com port to tty0 when running a DOS
   shell. When I type dos +acom1=/dev/tty0 - the machine hangs.
   Any suggestions?

4. I just got the 20 disk corrective services disks for AIX 1.2. It says
   that I need about 23 MB of free space to apply it to a 'full' system,
   but I can't GET 23 MB, because I have a FULL SYSTEM :=) on a 120 MB
   disk. I've cleaned it out - but still don't have 23 MB free. I'm afraid
   to start the update, for fear I won't be able to update parts at a time.
   Can I (only update SOME of the lpps each go-round)? Any suggestions?

5. Because of #4, I'm considering a larger hard disk. I'm looking at the
   Maxtor XT8760S with an Adaptec SCSI controller. Any comments or
   suggestions?

6. IBM claims to be adding support of the i860 Wizard adapter in a
   "future release". Does this mean that a future release of AIX will
   be able to 'talk' to the Wizard adapter - you write the programs,
   OR, does this mean that a future release of AIX will RUN on the
   i860 Wizard card? When might this "future release" happen?

Looking forward to any responses.
Thanks . . .

Harry
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2