Got Update. But what is it?

Applied Magnetics 3003jalp at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 4 08:10:36 AEST 1990

In article <10316.2709d542 at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> lusgr at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (Steve Roseman) writes:

>By 'stacked', I assume that is bootable, with a table-of-contents as
>the third file.  Well it is, sort of.  The first 2 files are short
>dummy files, the third is the TOC, and the rest are product updates.  I
>have installed it on 3 systems, and things seem stable, so far.
>AIXwindows hasn't hung up on me since I did it.

`Stacked' has something to do with multiple files on a tape.  I don't
really know what it is, don't want to know and don't care.  We bought
our machine early with pre-release software.  Little did we know that
some hardware would also be pre-release, i.e. the QIC tape drive.  It
doesn't know what a stacked tape is either.  IBM promised us a
replacement RSN, but we're still waiting.

Until someone gives me the straight dope, the updates have to stay in
the cooler.

  --PA